Tuesday, March 4, 2014

top ten (Fat) Tuesday: New Orleans pictures.

YOU GUYS. Guess what today is??

If you said Tuesday, you’re correct.

If you said Fat Tuesday, you’re super correct.

If you said Fat Top Ten Tuesday, you’re super 100% awesomely correct.

Fat Tuesday is the culmination of Mardi Gras – Lent starts tomorrow, so today is the last day you have to misbehave before you’re supposed to give stuff up for Lent and be good and all that.

Mardi Gras – as I probably don’t need to tell you – is HUGE in New Orleans. I probably don’t need to tell you this either, but New Orleans is one of my favorite places on Earth. I have visited twice and lived there once, and I have written many blog stories about its wonders.

Most of my blog stories are just that: stories. My stories tend to have more words than pictures, but there are a few pictures sprinkled here and there. You may or may not be aware of this, but I LOVE to take pictures. Rare is the time when you’ll find me without some sort of camera. I took a bazillion (that’s the technical term) during my time in New Orleans, and I love to look back at them and remember what a great time I had. Seeing those pictures can bring back the sounds and smells of New Orleans, and I miss it more than I can say.

So to celebrate New Orleans on Fat Tuesday, I’d like to present my top ten New Orleans photos!



Mardi Gras beads are everywhere in New Orleans - even when it's nowhere near Mardi Gras season. They get tossed out all year long, and some just happen to get stuck. 


Voodoo is a huge part of New Orleans history, and Marie LaVeau was widely known as the Voodoo Queen. While in New Orleans, visiting a voodoo shop is a great way to experience some voodoo culture. Or, you know, buy a voodoo doll and try to curse your neighbor.


Streetcars in New Orleans are THE BEST way to get around. They have streetcar lines running all over the city, and they save you a huge headache trying to find your way around and (worst of all) trying to park in the French Quarter. When Mom came to see me in New Orleans, we spent solid portions of our days just riding around on the streetcars and taking in the sights.


The water meter covers in New Orleans are downright iconic. New Orleans is called the Crescent City because of the way the Mississippi River bends, and so the water meter covers have crescent moons on them. I'm not sure why this one is painted teal, but it makes for a great picture.


When I think of New Orleans, it's hard not to think of the gorgeous ironwork. These apartments are in the French Quarter, and there are many more where they came from. 


Jackson Square is on the edge of the French Quarter, near the Mississippi. It's a New Orleans landmark. I like this picture because it's not usually the view you get of Jackson Square. 


In the French Quarter, there are all sorts of neat street signs. Many blocks have this coat of arms printed on the wall, along with the streets' original French name. The plaques are in varying states of disrepair, but it adds to the charm.


Remember Marie LaVeau? Legend has it that this is her grave. The story goes that if you knock three times, draw three Xs, and leave an offering, Marie LaVeau will grant your wish. (I was too chicken to try it, but if you find yourself in New Orleans and feeling brave, let me know how it turns out.)


This photo contains three of my favorite New Orleans things: iron gates, old lanterns, and Mardi Gras beads where they don't necessarily belong. Also, this picture was taken at the tail end of December, and just look at that sky. 


You can't have New Orleans without the Mississippi River. I took a steamboat cruise first with my dad and then with James, and both times, I was enamored with the ships on the river. Even though this particular day was a bit grey and rainy, the ships never stop working.

-----

You may have noticed that these photos don’t have any people in them. I chose these photos because they remind me the most of New Orleans. I absolutely loved having James, Mom, and Dad to explore the city with me, but I felt the most connected to New Orleans while I was wandering around on foot, taking artsy photos. These photos are the ones that really bring me back to New Orleans and everything I love about it.

Happy Fat Tuesday to you, my friends! As they say in New Orleans, laissez les bons temps rouler – let the good times roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment