Tuesday, November 24, 2015

top ten Tuesday: quote of the day, part II.

Welcome to part II of my top ten quotes-of-the-day! In this installment, we'll cover my junior year of high school: 2003 - 2004. 

As you may recall, I began writing a quote-of-the-day during my sophomore year. Each school day was assigned a quote, and my friends and I got a great deal of enjoyment out of said quotes. I have to say, I'm getting an even greater deal of enjoyment going back and re-reading these quotes.
PART I: JUNIOR YEAR
2003 – 2004

what you need to know
While junior year found me not quite as pessimistic and angsty as sophomore year, I was still not quite convinced that high school was supposed to be the best years of my life. But things were changing for the better: I got contacts and a (slightly) less weird wardrobe, and I was looking at colleges - which gave me a better perspective on life outside of high school. I was still unapologetically weird, and that would most certainly carry over into my senior year of high school. And - let's face it - the rest of my life.


the "school memories" page
So much sarcasm. So little time.
the assignment book
Here is the cheesy inspirational holographic cover in its original form.
the quote
the explanation
I have learned SO MUCH from the Clelland family over the years. Most of it I can't tell you, due to the rules of the Lake Poinsett cabin: what happens at the cabin stays at the cabin. This quote from Don did not originate at the cabin - if it had, I wouldn't have even written it down. I take cabin rules very seriously. In any case, this is one of the few Clelland-isms that I can pass on: life is short, so you might as well be a dictator.

the quote
the explanation
Remember how Mr Kones had a pithy response for everything? His reign continued into my junior year, when he was our algebra II teacher. That was the year that our school was condemned, and we spent the 2003 - 2004 school year learning out of government trailers. Even though algebra and I have never been close friends, Mr Kones's math class was a highlight of our days. He always had something quote-worthy to say. 

the quote
the explanation
When we moved into our house in 2000, my aunt gave us a housewarming gift: a beta fish named Willie. He came in a glass jar topped with a plant, and legend had it that he would just eat the plant's algae and be fine and dandy. (It turned out that we should've been feeding him... but we didn't realize it until TWO YEARS into his life. Clearly, he made it through.) Willie lived to the ripe old age of three, which is pretty stunning - especially considering that most of the preceding Bjorklund pet fish didn't make it to the one-week mark. When Willie did finally go to the big fishbowl in the sky, my mother gave him this touching eulogy before his burial at sea. What a way with words.

the quote
the explanation
Once upon a time on the farm, my dad brought home a new combine. It was red (what other color is there?), and its model number was 1666. Natural conclusion? It should be named Lucifer or Beezlebub. I don't think we ever did settle on a name for this combine, but if we had, I'm sure Sweetie won out. A missed opportunity, let me tell you.

the quote
the explanation
In my humble opinion, the Chris Farley years on Saturday Night Live were some of the best. And I loved El Nino. (Especially this winter: everyone is talking about El Nino, and all I can think of is Chris Farley.)
Ok, yes, I screwed up the quote. But considering I had little to no internet access and could only watch old SNL episodes via VHS-recorded TV Land reruns, I think I made do. 

the quote
the explanation
Honestly, I have no real explanation for this quote. Just say it out loud in your best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, and you'll find it hilarious. 

the quote
the explanation
My dear friend Bob (his name really is Bob) is oftentimes met with disbelief when he tells people that his name is Bob. This was especially true in high school, as there just weren't that many teenage Bobs running around. Hence: his introductory disclaimer.

the quote
the explanation
Some of my quotes have context (see: Sweetie the Combine), and some do not. I really wish this one did - I find the stand-alone quote to be spectacular, but it would be even better if I knew what triggered this. Knowing my family, it could be just about anything.

the quote
the explanation
Again, no context. This is the fourth quote involving my parents, and there are many more sprinkled throughout my junior year assignment book. I'd say that they give you a fairly accurate insight into life at my house - and nothing has changed. We are irreverent and sarcastic and call each other slime weasels, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

the quote
the explanation
Wise words from John Hughes. Putting a quote about high school in my high school handbook was very meta of my teenage self. My affection for John Hughes has not lessened over the years - nay, the older I get, the more I appreciate him. As a matter of fact, I was just asked to fill out a "getting to know you" questionnaire for work, and one of the questions asked about my favorite movie quote. My answer? Courtesy of Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Carpe diem, indeed.


---------------------


That concludes my top ten junior year quotes. Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion of the series: senior year!

No comments:

Post a Comment