Saturday, October 22, 2016

on this day in 2003: excerpts from a journal, October edition.


22 October 2003

College Days! (fanfare follows)

(editor's note: I was referring to a college fair in Brookings that the junior class attended each year.)

It actually wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. Upon arriving at College Days, Gilbertson (the guidance counselor) gave us a few instructions and sent us on our merry way. I filled out a bunch of little cards for more information (even an Army one). College mail, here I come!

Allison and I are both fascinated with the armed forces, so we (along with Jessie) visited those booths. The Army ROTC guy was really nice, and he gave us big fat books with a ton of information. They rule. Apparently, if you go to school under an ROTC program, you graduate an officer and get lots of scholarship money. ROTC does not sound like a bad deal, although the whole idea of basic training scares the hell out of me.

Speaking of scary, when we were walking past the Navy table, Jessie said to us, "I don't do boats." The Navy guy yelled, "Only 54% of the Navy is on boats at any given time!" He barked information at us, and he asked Jessie what she was considering. When she said nursing, he yelled, "There are 270,000 nurses in the Navy, and 23 on each of our 10 aircraft carriers. Where the hell do you think the others are?" What a jerk! Doesn't the Navy want any more sailors?

After that weirdness, we went to visit of University of Minnesota, Morris. Their admissions guy asked us where we had been, and we told him about the Navy. He said, "Don't worry, we won't yell at you."

The other armed forces tables were nice, though. The Air Force guy was very smiley, and the Army guy liked Allison's coat. The Army was giving away some kick-ass swag. I got an awesome pin and a notebook, but I missed the luggage tags.

Current music: I heard "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi on the bus on the way to Brookings...

No comments:

Post a Comment