Monday, October 30, 2017

songs for Halloween.

Halloween is my absolute favorite day of the year - I look forward to it more than any other holiday, more than my birthday, more than anything. I have loved it since I was a kid, and I anticipate loving it for years to come. 

Unlike Christmas, Halloween is not really known for its music. However, I do have a few Halloweeny selections to get you in the Halloween spirit. Quality, not quantity, right??

"This Is Halloween"
The Nightmare Before Christmas
I have been listening to this song on repeat since the beginning of October. Technically, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a Christmas movie, but it contains my absolute favourite Halloween song. Danny Elfman is a genius.

"Dead Man's Party"
Oingo Boingo
Two Danny Elfman masterpieces in a row! I honestly have no idea what musical path led me to Oingo Boingo, but I do know that I have been listening to this song for Halloween since I was 15.

"The Time Warp"
Rocky Horror Picture Show
I have no idea how Rocky Horror Picture Show found its home as a Halloween midnight showing, but I LOVE IT. The first time I ever went to a midnight showing was at UMM, and until then, I didn't even know that was a thing. My life was changed FOREVER. Audience participation is key, and everyone stands up and does "The Time Warp." It is a sight to see.

"The Monster Mash"
Bobby Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers
When you think of Halloween songs, this is probably the one that comes to mind first. It is a bonafide classic, and Halloween isn't Halloween without it.

"I Put a Spell on You"
Hocus Pocus
THIS IS THE BEST HALLOWEEN MOVIE EVER MADE. My family and I used to scour the TV Guide every October so we could be sure to be planted in front of network TV so not to miss the Hocus Pocus annual Halloween screening. For years, I thought that we were the only ones who knew the glory of this movie - but it turns out, Hocus Pocus has officially reached cult classic status. Nothing beats Bette Midler singing "I Put a Spell on You."

"Re: Your Brains"
Jonathan Coulton

Like I said, Halloween songs are scarce, so I'm considering songs about zombies and werewolves (see: Warren Zevon) Halloween songs. This song makes me laugh every time - all we wanna do is eat your brains.

"Werewolves of London"
Warren Zevon

Warren Zevon, you guys. This is the most recent addition to my list, as I didn't even know this song existed until about five years ago. I can't believe I made it so many years without "Werewolves of London."

-----

There you are: my favourite Halloween songs. I hope you all have a happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment