Wednesday, February 12, 2020

donuts v cupcakes.

We're several years into the big wave of artisanal cupcakes. Since then, we've seen artisanal everything else, from tiny bundt cakes to cookie dough. 

I'll admit, I was fully on the cupcake bandwagon to begin with. I am a huge fan of dessert, and it seemed totally incredible to be able to get cupcakes in different flavors instead of one giant pack of one flavor at HyVee.

The first cupcake shop I ever visited was in Sioux Falls, and it is called Oh My Cupcakes. They have good cupcakes, to be sure, but the cupcakes are served with a heaping side of Jesus. And you know I don't like Jesus shoved down my throat.

Queen City Bakery in Sioux Falls has my favourite cupcakes. Not only are they Jesus-free, but they are much more moist and with less sugary frosting than Oh My Cupcakes. The only downside to Queen City Bakery is they typically only have one or two cupcake flavors available at any given time, compared to Oh My Cupcakes' dozen or so.

The most entertaining cupcakery I have visited was a cupcake vending machine in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was called Sprinkles, and you picked out a cupcake just like you'd pick out a bag of chips. I have no recollection of the cupcake itself, but the vending machine experience was delightful.

James and I had cupcakes at our wedding instead of the traditional sheet cakes. That's old news now, but in 2013, we were the first people I knew who had done it. It was GREAT - no extra plates/silverware, no poor relative who had to be employed to slice cake, no having to choose just one flavour. 

But you know what I love even more than cupcakes?

DONUTS.
When I visit someplace new, the first thing I look for is a specialty donut shop. 
Like Do-Rite Donuts in Chicago.
Or Psycho Donuts in San Jose.

My all-time favourite donuts are Flyboy Donuts in Sioux Falls. And you can get them shaped like letters! When I left my job at the Sioux Falls library, my boss got me farewell donuts spelling out a message.
They were the best donuts ever.

My second favourite donuts can be found in Minneapolis at a place called Bogart's Doughnut Co. They have gigantic donuts stuffed with Nutella, and you have to get there early before they sell out.

I am almost never disappointed with donut shops. I love the mini donuts at Sleepy V's in Minneapolis and the DIY donuts at Donutology in Kansas City and at the Fractured Prune in Glendale, Arizona. I'll even take Dunkin' Donuts.
How cute is this guy?? This was in Connecticut.
My sister bought me an Air Fryer for Christmas 2018, and she included a cookbook filled with ONLY DONUTS.

Made with crescent rolls and love!
In my humble opinion, which both are lovely treats, donuts always have been and always will be superior to cupcakes. I hope the donut trend never dies.

Next time, we'll talk about ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment