Wednesday, August 6, 2014

one year in Luverne.

Right on the heels of our one-year wedding anniversary comes our one-year Luverne anniversary. We closed on our house in Luverne just three days after we got married, so there was a lot going on at once. Whirlwind or not, both James and I were very happy to have a place to call home – especially a place that wasn’t a junky Sioux Falls apartment.

We chose to live in Luverne because it was the closest to halfway between our jobs – James works in Ellsworth, MN and I work in Sioux Falls, SD. Plus, you can get a lot more house for your money in Luverne than in Sioux Falls.
Helloooooo, Luverne!
Now that we’re wrapping up our first year as Luvernians (Luvernites?), I feel like I should share our impressions from the past twelve months. And you know how much I love to share my impressions.

The first thing that James and I discovered is that home ownership is equal parts awesome and suck. Allow me to explain.

AWESOME
  • Getting to paint the walls and hang up whatever we want – nail holes be damned.
  • Feeling important and grown up when there’s no longer an apartment number at the end of your address.
  • Much more space = easier to have people over. Hilarious pictures ensue.
    Hot Dog Night 2014.
Housewarming 2013.

Christmas Hangover 2013.
  • Much more space = less likely for James and I to get on each other’s’ nerves.
  • Grilling.
  • Drinking beer in the driveway while grilling.
  • Drinking beer on the lawn whenever you damn well please.
  • Planting a garden – no word yet on whether or not it will survive until next year.
  • Finally being able to have a pet, even though said pet is a cat who is kind of an asshole.
  •  We no longer share walls with our neighbors.
  • We have thirteen threes, two of which are apple trees – which means loads of apples ripe for the picking in our backyard.
  • Reaching another milestone on the long road to adulthood.
    Another milestone = hosting a holiday! Much easier with a house!
SUCK
  • We had bats last summer, and it was terrifying.
  • The water pipe to the washing machine froze last year and gushed water all over the laundry room while I was home alone, and it was terrifying.
  • I actively dislike mowing the lawn and shoveling sidewalks. Did I mention we live on a gigantic corner lot?
  • We have thirteen trees, two of which are apple trees – which means loads of apples that fall on the ground and we spend hours picking up lest they rot and become super disgusting. Oh, and lots of raking.
  • Our house only has one bathroom. What were we thinking?
  • Our house only has one garage stall. What were we thinking?
And that’s just the house. Luverne itself has plenty of aweome.

AWESOME
  • Living in Luverne makes us officially Minnesotans. Hooray!
  • Every year in July, Luverne hosts Hot Dog Night. Businesses in town grill hot dogs, and you can eat as many free hot dogs as your heart desires. They also have wiener dog races and beauty contests, plus a Wiener Man race: you have to eat a hot dog and drink a beer at every stop. Leave it to Minnesota.
  • Luverne has a drive-in movie theatre, which is perhaps the greatest thing ever. You pay five dollars for two movies, and it’s got an amazing concession stand.
  • Speaking of drive-ins, the other drive-in (the kind where you get ice cream and fried food) stays open March – October. In the drive-in world, that’s a hell of a long time.
  • The Blue Stem is in Luverne, and their food is to DIE for. I dream of their wonton nachos, their spinach and artichoke dip, and their raspberry margaritas. Also? They have rib-eyes for ONE DOLLAR PER OUNCE every Tuesday night – and that includes potatoes and asparagus. Be still my heart.
  • Smokey’s Pizza is also in Luverne, and they have the second best pizza I’ve ever had (first prize going to Pizza King in Brookings). Like Pizza King, Smokey’s uses big slices of mozzarella cheese instead of shreds. They also have tons of specials, including the Tuesday special: starting at 5 o’clock, when you call and order a medium one-topping pizza, the time you call is the price. So if you call at 5:02, your pizza will be $5.02. Small towns have the BEST specials.
  • I actually see my family MORE now that I have a house – even though I live further away. Since I live in a house that looks all cozy and homey versus a cramped apartment with stanky hallways, it’s a much more pleasant destination. My parents love road trips – especially when the weather is nice and they can take their Mustang. My brother was also a frequent guest this past winter when things were slow at work. I love having them around, and I love that they don’t mind the drive. (It helps that they really like Mona the cat.)
So here’s to another year in Luverne – tune in at this time next year for my two-year anniversary update! Or better yet, just come visit me and we can drink on the lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment