Monday, August 21, 2017

five songs I'm listening to now, volume III.

I am one of those people that can get into a musical rut. I will listen to the same handful of songs over and over again until I can recite the lyrics in my sleep. I’ve shared my top five songs on rotation a couple of times before, but I’ve since moved on. I present, for your listening pleasure, another list of my five current favorite songs for you!

Hope For Something

Panama
I am really not that great at finding new music. You would think my ten-ish hours of commute time each week would be the perfect time to discover new music, but to the contrary. While I’m making that same old drive on I-90, day in and day out, I need something that will keep my interest. I either listen to podcasts or music that I KNOW. Trying to wade through new and unfamiliar musical territory tends to make me zone out, which is not great when you’re driving. I have tried Pandora, but Pandora has an uncanny ability to make every single song sound exactly the same to me. So what do I do for new music? I ask James. As a music teacher and a DJ, it’s his job to stay on top of what’s new, and he’s got a good ear for what I like. James introduced me to this song, and though I had a bad attitude about it at first (he’s on an EDM kick, and I want no part of it – and this song didn’t sound promising), it didn’t take me long to change my mind. Now it’s on repeat in my car.

Fool For Love

Lord Huron
This entire list could be made up of Lord Huron songs, but I’m trying to contain myself. I had heard Lord Huron years ago, but I had promptly forgotten about them until I heard this song at the end of a Girls episode and LOVED IT. I heard another of their songs in a 13 Reasons Why episode and loved that one, too. I like Lord Huron because they’ve got kind of a late 50s/early 60s Buddy Holly sound, but without the trite lyrics. I bought their album Strange Trails on vinyl and have dance parties with my cat. Don’t tell anyone.

You and Me (But Mostly Me)

The Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon changed my life. Not the actual book (NO!), but the musical. James and I saw it in May, and I have been listening to the soundtrack basically nonstop ever since. My favorite Book of Mormon song is an evolving creature (they’re ALL my favorite), but right now, it’s this one. For the uninitiated, The Book of Mormon is about two young Mormons who get sent on their mission… to Uganda. One is a super-Mormon, and the other is basically inept. This song is a duet between the two about how they’re going to change the world – but mostly the super-Mormon. If you love clever music, want to learn about Mormons, and are ok with a heavy (I mean HEAVY) dose of sacrilege, see The Book of Mormon. Seriously. See it.

Comes and Goes
Greg Laswell
This song is another recommendation, courtesy of James. He is a firm believer in Pandora, and he found this one while listening to a station called Indie Folk Revival (or something). I don’t have the patience for that, but I’m sure glad James does – he just picks out the good songs and plays them for me later. Thanks, James!

Stay Alive
Jose Gonzalez
Once upon a time, I watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The movie itself wasn’t very memorable, but the soundtrack sure was. This song was featured, along with another favorite (“Lake Michigan” by Rogue Wave – it’s hard to go wrong with Rogue Wave). It took a while for this song to really click with me, though – I just happened to hear it again a few weeks ago, and I haven’t been able to stop listening to it.

-----


That wraps up my latest list of top five songs! Perhaps you found something new to listen to – and if you have any recommendations for me, let me know! I’m always looking for new music, but as you know, I’m much too lazy to go out and find it myself. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment