Monday, November 18, 2019

ten outfits under $35, part XII.

Welcome back to the "outfits under $35" series! Believe it or not, this is my 12th edition of outfits under $35, and my 14th edition of cheap outfit posts. And my sixth year. 
If you're curious, take a look at my old stories and see how my style (and bargaining prowess) has evolved since 2013!

under $35, part X
under $35, part XI 

You can also see some of my specific rules in these older posts, but we're going to cut right to the chase: here are ten more outfits $35 or less. 


shirt – Modcloth – $9.97 (outlet sale)

skirt – Modcloth – $17.97 (outlet sale)

shoes – DSW – FREE! (was $90, all sorts of coupons/discounts)

necklace – Etsy/souvenir store – about $6 for supplies

TOTAL: $33.94

Modcloth recently had a MASSIVE sale on all their clearance items: 50% off the clearance price. I got a bunch of good stuff, but I did try to limit myself. Lo and behold, Modcloth took it a step further: they created a Modcloth outlet section of their website where they put all the leftovers at an even lower price. I bought this shirt and skirt at once, the only caveat being they were non-returnable. I think I like the skirt, but I'm a little concerned it makes me look less like a rainbow goddess and more like a circus tent. But I'm going to wear it no matter what, since it was super cheap and has pockets. The necklace is made out of an arrowhead I bought as an eight- or nine-year-old in a souvenir shop in the Black Hills somewhere (or possibly Wall Drug).  



shirt – Country Peddler – FREE! (was $10, used credit)

jeans – American Eagle – $27.97 (30% off)

shoes – DSW – FREE! (was $90, all sorts of coupons/discounts)

Lake Poinsett sea glass necklace – about $4 for supplies

TOTAL: $31.97
  
You are probably SO sick of these shoes by now - and this isn't the last time you'll see them in this blog. Do you know how hard it is to put together an outfit under $35, considering how much shoes cost? I hope you'll continue to bear with me. My shirt is another Country Peddler find - this blog would also not be possible without Country Peddler. Finally, my necklace is made of a rare piece of Lake Poinsett sea glass. The glass is a cloudy blue, and it looks like it came off a piece of china instead of the regular glass bottles. It's lovely and I haven't found another piece like it.
 


shirt – Everyday and Co – $8.50 (warehouse final sale + 15% off)

pants – AE – $15 (clearance + $15 off coupon)

booties – DSW – FREE! (gift card!)

Pacific sea glass necklace – Etsy – about $6 for supplies

TOTAL: $29.50

I LOVE this shirt. The price, the colour, the sleeves, all of it. It's the perfect weight for this summer-to-fall transition period we're in, in which I freeze in short sleeves and roast in sweaters. My necklace is made from a piece of sea glass I found with my parents while we were visiting Ocean Beach, San Francisco. San Francisco is one of my favourite places, and that trip was nothing short of incredible. While I am deeply devoted to my Lake Poinsett sea glass, it's also really great to have pieces from other special bodies of water. My shoes were purchased with a gift card I received from my coworkers for graduating with my master's degree! How awesome are they?!



dress – Filly Flair – $22.99

sandals – Target – $11.50 (buy one get one 50% off)

bracelet – gift from James

TOTAL: $34.49

I LOVE the colour red. It's harder than one might think to find red shirts and dresses - turns out most people tend to prefer neutrals. This dress was originally $55, which seemed like wayyyyyy too much. I eyed it and eyed it, and one day, it was marked down to $22.99. YES. The bracelet was a gift from James back when Unglued first opened in Sioux Falls. Unglued is a store full of art and jewelry from local artists, and it was amazing. Alas, the Sioux Falls store shut down a few years ago, but I will NEVER FORGET.



shirt – Everyday and Co – FREE! (was $39, buy 2, get 40% your order)

jeans – American Eagle – $22.49 (sale + $15 off)

sandals – Target – $11.50 (buy one get one 50% off)

TOTAL: $33.99

I bought this shirt in an incredible sale in which if you purchased two tops, you got 40% off your entire order. That made this shirt cost NOTHING. I also super love this color, which only works on me when I have a bit of a summer tan. Otherwise, I look like the Ghost of Christmas Past.




dress – bohme – $33.59 (extra 30% off clearance)

booties – DSW – FREE! (gift card!)

TOTAL: $33.59



 You should know that I rarely shop at bohme, even though I ALWAYS want to. It's a little boutique that can be found in some malls, but it trends towards the "this shirt is $40 and I love it, but I hate spending $40 on shirts" direction. Until it hits clearance. Like this dress.


shirt – Maurices – $14.50 (50% off)
jeans – Modcloth – $17.97 (outlet sale)
shoes – DSW – FREE! (was $90, all sorts of coupons/discounts)
amazonite necklace – Etsy – about $2
TOTAL: $34.47

Button-down shirts are a challenge for a broad-shouldered lady like me. It is nearly impossible to find one that fits correctly. Because the material stretches across your broad shoulders, there's not enough left at the chest so that the buttons don't gap. If you order a size larger, it's too big around the waist and stomach, and you look like you may have just woken up. This is one of the rare button-downs that works for me - AND it was on sale. These jeans are a total departure from what I usually wear, but I figured the price was low enough I could take the chance. I ended up really loving them, so you just never know. Finally, I made the necklace out of a huge string of amazonite rosary chain, primarily as a layering necklace. It's a-ok on its own, as it turns out.



sweater jacket – Country Peddler – FREE! (was $12, used credit)

pants – Target – $25

booties – DSW – FREE! (gift card!)

bracelet – Etsy – about $10 for supplies
TOTAL: $35

I bought this sweatery jackety thing at Country Peddler, when it was still hot out, and it's been waiting patiently in my closet ever since - and it's just as cozy as it looks. My dress pant collection consists of 99% green pants. I am a HUGE fan of this color; you can match it with pretty much everything. Also, I kind of hate khaki, and this is like improved khaki. My bracelet is hard to see in this picture, but it's got a little beveled sapphire surrounded by gold cubed beads and teeny white opals. I only paid around $10 for the supplies to make this, whereas I've seen similar bracelets in stores for upwards of $40. Not that making your own jewelry is always feasible, but I would highly recommend it.





dress – Target – $20
shoes – Target – $12.50 (buy one get one 50% off)
blue sea glass necklace – Etsy/repurposed chains/sea glass – about $2 for supplies
TOTAL: $34.50

I initially bought this dress to take to Germany with me, as I knew it was going to be hot AF and this dress is lightweight enough not to kill me. It managed like a champ in the 90+ degree Berlin heat, so it's a keeper for sure. I made my necklace out of odds and ends I already had in my jewelry tools, so it's hard to say how much it actually cost. The sea glass is from Lake Poinsett, and it's this long skinny blue piece. So cool.




kimono – Beautique – FREE! (buy one clearance, get the other free)
jeans – Maurices – $31.20 (20% off)
Sorel boots – Country Peddler – FREE! (were $47, used credit)
bracelet  – Unglued –gift from James
sand dollar necklace – gift from Mom/chain from me – about $3 for supplies
TOTAL: $34.20

You may notice a new background in this photo - this is the first outfit photo in our new house! James and I moved last week, so say goodbye to the old familiar house backgrounds and hello to the new. The kimono I'm wearing was a hell of a deal from Beautique, a boutique in Brandon, SD. They were having a buy-one-get-one free clearance sale, so I got this kimono for free when I bought another clearance shirt. The snow boots are heavy hitters when the snow falls, and they the COZIEST. I would like to draw your attention, though, to the sand dollar necklace. Mom and I recently went on a trip to New England, and we found sand dollar necklaces at a tiny grocery store/breakfast place in Maine. Mom and I both love sand dollars - we spent a morning collecting them in California - so Mom bought us each a sand dollar necklace. Upon returning home, I added a moonstone chain. It's now one of my favourite pieces.
-----
Friends, that does it for outfits under $35, part XII!  Thanks as always for reading about my escapades in bargain hunting.

1 comment:

  1. All ten of these outfits look very attractive, fashionable and pretty.
    My favourite four looks from the outfit photos above are:
    The blouse and colourful skirt comination in the first outfit photo;
    The lacy ruffled details and lace hem on the of the Country Peddler cap-sleeved blouse in the second photo;
    The beautiful red Filly Fair dress in the fourth outfit photo, and;
    The Everyday and Co. short-sleeved blouse with embroidered lace in the fifth photo.
    You have excellent fashion taste, and the bargains you found are amazing!

    https://full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete