Tuesday, November 17, 2020

the songs I'm listening to right now.

Few things delight me more than finding new songs to love. One thing that does delight me more than finding them is sharing them. As far as I know, these songs are a bit off the beaten path. If you're looking for something new to listen to, I humbly offer you these.

  

"Under My Skin"

Jukebox the Ghost

 

Jukebox the Ghost is my band du jour, dumb name notwithstsanding. They have a ton of great songs, but this one is my favourite. The lead singer has shades of Freddy Mercury, and this song has an amazing piano part.

"Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)"

Peter Sarstedt

While this song was released in 1969, I hadn't heard it until about a month ago (thanks to Wes Anderson). I can't get enough of it. Admittedly, I had to look up 90% of the references, but now I'm much more educated. It's kind of a waltz, and it's mournful and beautiful. And it has its own Wikipedia page.

"Donations"

Loudon Wainright III


This is another beautiful and mournful waltz. It's a sweet and morbid song about friendship.

"Jamaica Farewell"
Harry Belafonte


 Honestly, who doesn't love Harry Belafonte? I knew his big songs ("Day-O," "Jump in the Line," etc), but this one is new to me. Guess what? Also mournful. My favourite line is "I must declare my heart is there/though I've been from Maine to Mexico." I have also been to Jamaica and from Maine to Mexico, so this speaks to me - especially in these times when travel is off the table.

"Mess"

Noah Kahan 


This is the last of the string of downer songs. I don't know anything about this artist, but Spotify thought I'd like this song. Spotify was right. As the title suggests, it's about being a mess. A universal feeling if there ever was one.

"San Francisco"

The Mowglis 

Ok, so you should know: this band is ACTUALLY called the Mowgli's. But I can't make myself refer to them as such. The Mowgli's what? What belongs to Mowgli? I'm assuming they mean more than one Mowgli, in which case they should be the Mowglis. So that's what I'll call them. Anyway. This is another Spotify suggestion, and it's about one of my favourite places on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment