Saturday, August 21, 2021

captain's log: COVID quarantine 2021.

 James, Phineas, and I all tested positive for COVID-19 in August 2021. James and I are fully vaccinated, so what we had was considered a breakthrough case of the Delta variant. Phineas, being under 2, is too young for the vaccine. I had no symptoms, but the two of them were full of snot and other gross stuff.

It quickly became evident the only way to retain some semblance of sanity through a ten-day quarantine with a toddler and a disgustingly optimistic band director was to try and hang onto my sense of humor. 

So I present a Captain's Log of our time in quarantine.

Sunday, August 8

quarantine day -3

James and Phineas begin exhibiting cold symptoms. I 

Monday, August 9

quarantine day -2

James receives word some band students have tested positive for COVID. Frantic phone calls and cursing ensue. Phineas and James are miserable.

Tuesday, August 10

quarantine day -1

James and Phineas both get positive COVID results. James calls me at work to tell me - forgetting where I am, I have a few four-letter words in response. We divide the house (ala a custody agreement) so I can avoid those two and not get COVID myself. Phineas is already bouncing back while James remains miserable. My test is scheduled for the following morning. Amazing friends already start dropping supplies on our porch. 

Wednesday, August 11

quarantine day 1

Stomach in knots at work waiting for the result. When the test comes back positive, I pack up a bunch of work and sadly go home. Many phone calls and texts ensue - in which I feel compelled to remind anyone and everyone that James and I have been vaccinated. I call my boss (who could not have been any kinder), my parents (to tell them we cannot come to my grandmother's 90th birthday party on Sunday), my cousins (as we had a reunion planned for the following week), my friend Bob (who is having a big anniversary party on Saturday), and more. There are tears. James sets up a home office for me and I get to work after I pull myself together. When my workday is done, I manage to sort through seven boxes of boys' clothing - a project I've been meaning to get to for months. There's the silver lining.

Thursday, August 12

quarantine day 2

Realized I only have to look professional from the chest up, so gleefully put on jeans for my workday. Must remind myself even though I'm at home, I'm still working and can't start drinking until after 6pm. Morale is low.

Friday, August 13

quarantine day 3

Symptoms finally hit me - migraine, sore throat, congestion, fever. If I feel this bad with the vaccine, I can't imagine what it's like without the vaccine. One of my favourite cousins flies in from Virginia for the party and stops by with my uncle to say a socially distanced and masked outdoor hello. Their visit is heartening, but reminds me what I’m missing. Morale is low.

Saturday, August 14

quarantine day 4

We have this little robot vacuum that doesn’t work worth a damn and just gets stuck everywhere, but it’s essentially Phineas’s best friend. It makes this beeping sound when it gets stuck and another beeping noise when Phineas pushes its buttons, and the noise is threatening what little sanity I have left. I am THIS CLOSE to going Office Space on that vacuum. Morale is low.

Sunday, August 15

quarantine day 5

It is crystal clear humans are not meant to isolate like this. Even James is threatening to go Jack Torrance on us - it’s a good thing for everyone we don’t have an axe. 

We Facetime into Grandma Sheila's party for a bit, and it seems as though they are somehow carrying on without us.

Monday, August 16

quarantine day 6

Finished The Handmaid's Tale miniseries today. The last several episodes were exceptionally dark, which matched my overall mood. Feeling lost without a series to have on while I attempt to be productive. Video called my parents today, and Phineas snuggled the phone. My ice cold heart melted.

Tuesday, August 17

quarantine day 7

Today is James and Phineas's last day of quarantine. I love them, obviously, but I am greatly looking forward to having the house to myself. It may shock you to find out working is incredibly difficult with a rambunctious toddler and a chattery husband around all the time. My Virginian family stops by for a socially distances backyard hangout in which we have a  pitcher of Aperol Spritzes. I finally feel alive again.

Wednesday, August 18

quarantine day 8

James and Phineas are officially out of quarantine as of today. I am happy for them - but happier for me that I’ll have the house to myself for a few hours when they go to Brookings.

Thursday, August 19

quarantine day 9

I have just lost my sense of taste. Why, COVID, why?? As you can imagine, this makes eating much less pleasurable. As a person who lives to eat (versus eats to live), this is a huge bummer. Phineas went back to daycare today and LOVED it. James is greatly enjoying his newfound freedom, having gone to Ellsworth, Pipestone, and Sioux Falls today.

Friday, August 20

quarantine day 10

Now my sense of smell is gone. Why wait until the last day of quarantine? But - it's finally here. The LAST day of quarantine. Do I even know how to exist in the real world any more? After doing some research (not the "research" that the anti-vaxxers claim to do, but research on the CDC page), my amazing Luverne friends found evidence that vaccinated people who get the Delta variant are infectious for less time. Neat, huh?

 Saturday, August 21

quarantine day I AM FINALLY FREE

 I celebrate by... going to work.


Someday I will see the surface of my desk again. It's good to be home.

QUARANTINE BY THE NUMBERS

cocktails consumed: no comment

shots of espresso consumed: see above

naps taken: at least one for every day of quarantine 

pieces of furniture purchased from quarantine depression: 1

number of times I forgot to take my morning medication because my routine was off: 4? 5?

books read: 3

movies watched: 2

documentaries watched: 2

series completed: 2

pieces of jewelry made: 17

clothing items listed on Poshmark: 8

boxes of kids’ clothes sorted: 11

garbage bags of kids’ clothes sorted: 4

house projects I’ve been putting off for ages I finally got done: 4

loads of laundry done: no one can count that high

curse words spoken: see above

THE QUARANTINE TAKEAWAY

Overall, we don't have that much to complain about. No one had severe symptoms. We all could function. (I have had a headache for the entire duration of quarantine, but that could have been because I never remembered to take my medication regularly. I am also exhausted down to my bones, but that could just be parenthood.) I put this squarely on the vaccine. Without the vaccine, we could be in the hospital on ventilators. At the end of the day, we just lost ten days in the outside world. I'm coming out of this feeling good that we did the right thing - but feeling frustrated there are many people out there who haven't. So please - get the vaccine. If you feel sick, get tested. Do it for the Phineases of the world who are too little to get the vaccine themselves.

1 comment:

  1. As always, I applaud your way with words...and just for the record, I wouldn't have waited until after 6 p.m. to drink!

    ReplyDelete