Thursday, October 8, 2020

top ten outfits under $35, part XVI.

Here we are with another installation of the cheap outfit saga!

Almost everything you see here will have some element from Poshmark or thredUP. After reading a bit about the horrific effects of the fast fashion industry and the insane amounts of clothes unleashed on Goodwill (that often just get thrown away), I started rethinking my clothing purchases. I am now focusing on purchasing either secondhand or from small businesses - or, in the best case scenarios, both! Poshmark and thredUP are my new best friends in this endeavor, so you'll be seeing those names quite a bit as we go.

If you'd like to check out the previous cheap outfit posts, here they are - going back all the way to 2012! 

$40 or less
$30 or less
under $35, part I
under $35, part II
under $35, part III
under $35, part IV
under $35, part V
under $35, part VI 
under $35, part VII
under $35, part VIII

under $35, part IX

under $35, part XII 
under $35, part XIII
under $35, part XIV

under $35, part XV 


dress – Poshmark – $35

shoes – DSW – FREE! (buy one pair of sandals, get another free)

cat necklace – gift from Mom and Dad

TOTAL: $35

This dress is the first thing I ever purchased on Poshmark. It is a symbol of a long and beautiful relationship. This dress is so comfortable and flowy, and I feel super fancy but also like I'm wearing pajamas. That's the best kind of outfit. My necklace is hard to see, but it is the teeniest tiniest sweetest cat necklace. Being a cat lady is socially acceptable now, and I love all the cat accessories that have since emerged.

 


jumpsuit – Maurices – $14.98 (clearance + $5 off)

shoes – Modcloth – $17.99 (clearance + 40% off)

fish bracelet – Etsy/gift from Mom and Dad – about $2

TOTAL: $34.97

Jumpsuits are the miracle I have been waiting for. Maxi dresses make me look pregnant, but I love how simple they are. You only have to pick out one thing to wear, and no shaving of legs or wearing tights required. Jumpsuits are BETTER than maxi dresses - they make me look proportionate (!!!), usually have pockets, and I don't have to shave my legs. You're going to see quite a few jumpsuits on this page. My bracelet is made out of the cutest pink fish charm my parents brought me back from Hawaii circa 1998.


jacket – Poshmark – $9

pants – AE – $25.46 (25% off + 10% off + $15 off)

shoes – DSW – FREE! (were $90, all sorts of coupons/discounts)

earrings – free gift from Etsy shop

TOTAL $34.46

I have a huge thing for bomber jackets, and this is the first one I purchased from Poshmark. This one also has embroidery, for which I have a clear weakness. While I did say I am now focusing on small businesses and secondhand, I may still need to get my pants from American Eagle. They fit me the best, and they have killer sales. Plus, it has been fairly difficult to find secondhand jeans that fit my needs and wants. We'll get there.

(It's hard to see, but Phineas is wearing a Biden/Harris onesie.)

jumpsuit – thredUP – $14.99

shoes – Modcloth – $19.99

turquoise ring – gift from Grandma 

TOTAL: $34.98

Here's the second jumpsuit already! It's nothing fancy; it's a Target brand. But I found it on thredUP (the gigantic online thrift store) and bought it. And it's a dream - pockets and all. I wore it to work at the library, and a little girl told me I look like Princess Jasmine. 

cardigan – thredup – $12.60 (30% off first purchase)

jeans – Poshmark/H&M – $17

booties – DSW – FREE! (was $80, had coupons/discounts)

dire wolf bracelet – Etsy – about $5 for supplies

TOTAL: $34.60

This long cardigan thingy is me stepping outside my comfort zone and loving it. It's not something I typically would have chosen, but I love anything red and anything with embroidery. So here we are. My jeans AND shoes are also embroidered, so we might be facing embroidery overload. If there even is such a thing. My bracelet is a dire wolf. I took a Buzzfeed quiz that told me I belonged in House Stark. If Buzzfeed says it, it's got to be true.


sweater – Filly Flair – $16.79 (clearance + 40% off)

jeans – Poshmark – $14

Sperrys – DSW – FREE! (were $60, $100 off)

sand dollar necklace – gift from Mom/Etsy – about $3 for supplies

TOTAL: $33.79

Let me stop and take a moment to talk about Filly Flair. It is a small South Dakota-based boutique, and you know how I feel about supporting small businesses. HOWEVER. Small businesses bank on their owners being the face of the business, which is usually great. In the case of Filly Flair, I recently learned the owner is an anti-masker. That's tough for me. But I also learned she is actively working to make her brand more diverse by featuring diverse models. And that's awesome. I will continue to support this boutique because of the latter, but had it only been the former, I likely would have stopped. There's another South Dakota boutique I used to frequent with an owner who is vocally pro-Trump and anti-LGBTQ+. This is not ok, so I will be spending my money elsewhere. (Of course, this applies to ALL businesses, so I don't shop at Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-a, or Menards.) Let me descend from my soapbox.

top – Modcloth – $14.50

skirt – One Loved Babe – $19 (buy one get one 50% off)

boots – TOMS – FREE! (post office lost)

necklace – gift from Mom

TOTAL: $33.50

The most important part of this outfit is the necklace. Obviously. Mom brought over a whole bunch of vintage jewelry one day for us to go through with the intent of me listing most of it on Etsy. I found this amazing piece among the other treasures, and I was definitely not going to let it get away. It belonged to my mom in the 1970s, and it makes me feel like Cleopatra.

 


jumpsuit – thredUp – $12.58

shoes – Modcloth – $20.99 (additional 40% off clearance)

ring - gift 

TOTAL: $33.57

Again with the jumpsuits. I hope they never go out of style again. Even if they do, you're going to have to pry my jumpsuits out of my cold, dead hands. My ring is another piece of amazing vintage jewelry. After I started listing vintage jewelry on my Etsy page, I have heard from a few people asking me I would be interested in their vintage jewelry. It was sitting around, and they did not know what to do with it. I LOVE being the vintage jewelry lady. This ring came from the latest batch, given to me by a friend. It belonged to her mom, and HOW COOL is that??

 

blouse – Target – $16.28 (5% off and Target Circle earnings)

pants – thredUP – $7.19

booties – DSW – FREE! (was $80, had coupons/discounts)

druzy bracelet – Etsy – about $9 for supplies

TOTAL: $32.47

This color is totally outside my comfort zone, but I think I'm into it. Palazzo pants are my new thing, and I have found a treasure trove of them on thredUP. I made this bracelet after seeing similar bracelets for sale on Etsy... for $60 on up. This was under $10. So much better.


top – Everyday and Co – $17 (warehouse final sale + 15% off)

jeans – Poshmark – FREE! (seller sale)

shoes – Modcloth – $17.99 (clearance + 40% off)

poison ring – gift from James

RBG necklace - FREE! (was $15, used Amazon cash back)

TOTAL: $34.99

One of the beautiful things about Poshmark is that it is made up of individual sellers. These sellers can decide to run all sorts of crazy sales, and this particular seller had a buy-one-get-one free sale. And that's how I ended up with these jeans. And allow me to draw attention to my ring. It's a vintage poison ring James got on Etsy. For the uninitiated, a poison ring is a ring with a container underneath the bezel that can hold poison (or whatever) to slip into your enemy's drink. Not that I keep poison (or anything) in it, but it's super cool. My amazing RBG necklace was $15 on Amazon, and I HAD to have it. I get cash back from using my Amazon store card, so I was able to use that credit and not pay a thing for this amazing necklace.

-----

That's it for this outfit session! I've already got stuff on the way to me from thredUP, so stay tuned for the next thrifty edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment