Tuesday, March 2, 2021

ten outfits under $35, part XVIII

(I am sure learning my Roman numerals by doing this series.)

So here we are, at the 18th edition of outfits under $35 and the 20th bargain outfit post overall. I have been doing this for eight years. A lot has changed for me in eight years, by it seems my bargain-hunting tendencies will never die.

As promised, this crop of outfits focuses on secondhand clothing with each outfit containing at least one piece of "previously loved" clothing. I hope you like them, because I feel like my secondhand clothing game is STRONG.

(As always, here are links to the older outfits!)

$40 or less
$30 or less
under $35, part I
under $35, part II
under $35, part III
under $35, part IV
under $35, part V
under $35, part VI 
under $35, part VII
under $35, part VIII

under $35, part IX

under $35, part XII 
under $35, part XIII
under $35, part XIV

under $35, part XV 

under $35, part XVI

under $35, part XVII 


dress – Modcloth via Poshmark – $25

boots – TOMS – FREE! (post office lost)

earrings – Etsy – about $7 for supplies

TOTAL: $32

One of the major downsides about Poshmark is that everything you buy is a final sale (unless it was grossly misrepresented in the listing). I originally bought this dress secondhand in a size small... and when it arrived, I could not get it zipped up past the bottom of my ribcage. So I bought a different one in a large (for less money!), and it fits perfectly. So if you need this dress in a size small, it's on my Poshmark page! Sigh...


blazer – Modcloth via Poshmark – $12.03 (used credit)

jeans – Gap via Poshmark – $22

booties – DSW – FREE! (was $80, had coupons/discounts)

TOTAL: $34.03

For the longest time, I had a problem finding blazers that looked good on me. They were either way too tight across the shoulders or way too boxy. My secret to success? Stop being obsessed by the size label and buy what fits. This blazer is a size large and fits my giant broad shoulder like a charm. I'm not sad about it.

sweater – Sugarhill via thredUP– $7.99 (mystery $10 off coupon via Honey)

pants – Obey via Poshmark – $25

boots – TOMS – FREE! (post office lost)

wood MN earrings - gift from Mom and Dad

TOTAL: $32.99

I am a huge fan of the menswear style, hence both my boots and my suspender pants. Buying this type of clothing secondhand also gives me the freedom to experiment with styles that are new to me without risking too much. I was not at all sure I could pull off blue suspender pants, but here we are. 

blazer – bohme via thredUP – $14.94

pants – AE via thredUP – $10.99 ($10 off)

Converses – gift from Darrah

earrings – Etsy – about $7 for supplies 

TOTAL: $32.93

Another day, another blazer. This is a sad tale much like the Modcloth dress at the beginning of the post. I had originally purchased this same blazer on super clearance from a bohme store (pre-pandemic) in a size small. I wore it ONE TIME, realized it was too tight, and took it off - only to discover I had completely ripped the inside lining. Top to bottom. I managed to sell it, ripped lining and all, on Poshmark and ended up finding a size large later on. I am learning my lesson.

cardigan – Abercrombie & Fitch via thredUP – $14.99

jeans – Poshmark – $17.20 (offer and credit)

Converses – gift from Darrah

sweater clip – gift from Betty

TOTAL: $32.19

Is this the coziest cardigan you've ever seen or what? I would not be caught dead in an Abercrombie & Fitch store, but I will indeed buy their cozy cardigans secondhand from thredUP. No problem with that.

shirt – Talbots via Poshmark – $10

black suspender pants – Kenneth Cole via Poshmark – $24

booties – DSW – FREE! (was $80, had coupons/discounts)

TOTAL: $35

I liked my blue suspender pants (see above) so much that I bought a much more utilitarian pair of black suspender pants. These have detachable suspenders so I could wear them as regular pants if I wanted, but really, where's the fun in that?

jacket – Target via thredUP – $5.38 (40% off first purchase)

jeans – Target – $24.99 (clearance)

shoes – DSW – FREE! (were $60, $100 off)

anchor necklace – Etsy – about $4 for supplies

TOTAL: $34.37

This bomber jacket was part of my very first purchase from thredUP. Bomber jackets fall into the same category as blazers for me: I am NOT a size small, no matter how badly I want to be. I obeyed my instincts with this jacket and bought an appropriate size - and we've lived happily ever since.

dress – Hell Bunny via Poshmark – FREE! ($17, used credit)

shoes – Chelsea Crew via Zulily – $27.79

earrings – Etsy – about $7 for supplies

TOTAL: $34.79

The brand Hell Bunny makes the COOLEST dresses, but they are horrifically expensive if you buy them new. Thanks to Poshmark and some credit I had from selling my own clothing, I got this dress without spending a thing.

top – Olive Ave via Poshmark – FREE! (was $25, used credit)

jeans – Driftwood via Poshmark – $35

Converses – gift from Darrah

TOTAL: $35

First of all, I would like you to note the baby burrito. This is Phineas's favorite thing post-bath. Like the Hell Bunny dress in the previous photo, these jeans (Driftwood brand) are hella expensive if you buy them new. You know I would never do such a thing. The only problem I have with them is that they are considered mid-rise when I am 100% a high-rise person. I love them, but do I love them enough to suffer through the mid-rise waist? The jury is out.

sweatshirt – Modcloth - $22.49 (50% off clearance)

jeans – J Brand via Poshmark – FREE! ($30, used credit)

Converses – gift from Darrah

TOTAL: $22.49

And finally, here is a very typical casual Friday outfit. I am a sucker for anything with rainbows. This sweatshirt actually has a small defect that you can kind of see in the photo: the rainbow at the top left has white stitching at the top instead of red. Hence the discount. Worth it!

-----

There we are, my friends! Ten outfits under $35, all featuring at least one clothing item obtained secondhand. I hope you enjoyed this adventure in thrift-shopping. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment